Thu. May 19th, 2022

Sai Gon Xuan Thanh (SGXT) drew 2-2 with Tampines Rovers of Singapore in
the fifth round match of the Asian Confederation Federation Cup at
Thong Nhat Stadium on April 23.

Striker Mohammad
Khairul Amri Bin Mohammad Kamal opened the score for Rovers and one
minute later Nsi Amougou put the match on equal terms with a penalty.

Moses Aloya put the host team ahead with a low shot inside the box but Sead Hadzibulic equalised.

With the draw, the HCM City-based football club accumulated eight
points in total after five games to place second in Group H after India’s East Bengal, who are on top of the table with 11 points.

SGXT will have to earn at least one point in the last-round game against Bengal to go through the knockout stage.

The visitors suddenly had the opener as Khairul headed home a Shadan
Bin Sulaiman cross on the right following a long pass from Alexandre
Duric from the left flank.

But Rovers’ joy was
short-lived when SGXT levelled the match immediately with the first
attack after the kick-off. Defender Long Giang was released on the right
flank and squared the ball across the front of the goal mouth and fell
to Moses who dragged a low ball past Rovers keeper Sasa Dreven to put
SGXT in front.

The second half was much more
entertaining with continuous attacks at both ends of the pitch but,
despite a handful of chances, there was one goal that was scored by
Hadzibulic, who defeated Bui Tan Truong with a shot from the edge of the

“We came here to play an open game and hoped
for a win but unfortunately we could not win. Moreover, it is tough to
beat SGXT on their home ground but I’m happy with our team’s
performance,” Rovers coach Nenad Bacina said.

SGXT coach Tran Tien Dai was not satisfied with the goal-scoring capacity from players upfront.

“We were not happy with the attacking line tonight. We created some
chances but strikers could not capitalise on them. We will make some
adjustments to show a new face in the upcoming game,” Dai said.

Other Vietnamese representative, SHB Da Nang, also won a crucial 3-2
match against Ayeyawaddy United from Myanmar to open up the chance of
qualifying for the next round when they only need a draw in the last
round game against Maziya at home.-VNA

By vivian