Fri. Jul 1st, 2022

VietNamNet Bridge – The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD)
has suggested an initiative which it believes can settle the water dispute
between the Da Nang City authorities and the developer of the Dak Mi 4
hydropower plant. However, the initiative would cost multi billions of dong.

 

Vietnam, hydropower plant, water disputes, temporary solution, budget 



The Da Nang City authorities have accused the Dak Mi 4 hydropower plant of
taking away all the water for the city dwellers’ daily use.

MARD believes that the best solution for now is to block the Quang Hue River
current with packs of sand to drive the water to the Ai Nghia River, which would
run into Da Nang City. The solution is expected to cost VND1 billion.

However, this is just the temporary solution for the dry season. In the flood
season, the sand bags would be let to be swept away by the water. This means
that the VND1 billion would be sunk under the water.

Huynh Van Thang, Deputy Director of the Da Nang City Department of Agriculture
and Rural Development, on April 9 affirmed that the involved parties have agreed
on the solution after a meeting to settle the dispute.

The current blocking would bring effects immediately. This would ease the
drought being incurred by the dwellers in Da Nang City and in some communes of
Quang Nam province.

However, Thang admitted that any measures to be applied now would be just
temporary solutions.

Thang went on to say that right after the meeting, Da Nang City and Quang Nam
province sat together to discuss the measures to fight against the drought.

Hoang Thanh Hoa, Deputy Directr of the Da Nang City’s Irrigation and Anti-flood
Agency, said the blocking of the Quang Hue current aims to give water to the Ai
Nghia water, which provides 80 percent of the water to Da Nang City.

In the past, before the Dak Mi 4 hydropower plant was built, the water capacity
flowing from the Vu Gia River system to Thu Bon River through the Quang Hue
dropped to 20 percent only, while the other 80 percent flew to Ai Nghia.

However, as the Dak Mi hydropower plant took away the water of Vu Gia, only 40
percent of water can flow to Ai Nghia.

“It’s impossible to build a solid embankment system because it would cost a lot
of money, while the whole irrigation system in the lower course would be badly
influenced,” Thang said.

Also according to Thang, it’s now necessary to draw up the project, and the work
is being carried out by MARD.

The conclusion about the construction of a temporary embankment system has
raised the anger among the public. Experts think that the measure would badly
affect the lowlands. Especially, they said it is the investor, who has to spend
money on the solutions to give water back to people, not MARD, which spends the
state’s money.

People have also expressed their satisfaction when hearing that the investors of
the A Vuong and Dak Mi 4 hydropower plants committed to discharge water to
ensure people’s normal daily life as requested by the local authorities, but
they “ignored” the payment for the anti-drought activities. Meanwhile, they were
the culprits that caused the droughts.

Tien Phong

By vivian