Former Deputy Governor of SBV Dang Thanh Binh
1.The most significant event in the banking sector last year was the prosecution of a high-ranking official of the management agency – the deputy governor of SBV.
In September 2017, the investigation department under the Ministry of Public Security released the decision to prosecute Binh, 63, for ‘lacking responsibility, thus causing serious consequences’. This was related to the case of Pham Cong Danh, former chairman of the board of directors of the VNCB and his accomplices who caused the loss of VND9 trillion.
Binh spent 30 years working in the banking sector and held many important positions before he was appointed by the PM to the post of deputy governor of SBV in May 2005.
2. Another serious case concerned four commercial banks: TP Bank, Sacombank, BIDV and VNCB.
The most significant event in the banking sector last year was the prosecution of a high-ranking official of the management agency – the deputy governor of SBV.
In July 2017, the investigation department under the Ministry of Public Security issued a decision on the prosecution of 25 subjects on the charge of ” deliberately violating State regulations on economic management, causing serious consequences” stipulated in Article 165 of the Penal Code, and ordered the detention of 16 defendants.
These included well known names such as Tram Be, former deputy chair of Sacombank, and Phan Huy Khang, former CEO of Sacombank.
3. In 2014, Huynh Thi Huyen Nhu, a former official at VietinBank, was sentenced to life in prison for a US$178.5 million fraudulent scheme. However, the case is still ‘hot’ at this moment.
On December 11, the Supreme People’s Procuracy announced that it had completed the indictment to prosecute 10 defendants who were former leaders of Navibank for allegedly violating state regulations on economic management and causing serious consequences. The defendants were found violating regulations, allowing Nhu to appropriate hundreds of billions of dong.
4. In October, the Supreme People’s Procuracy finalised charges against Huynh Nam Dung, former management board chairman of MHB, and sixteen accomplices, accusing them of abusing power and irresponsibility that caused serious consequences.
Among those prosecuted with Dung were former MHB General Director Nguyen Phuoc Hoa, former Deputy General Director Bui Thanh Hung and former Chief Accountant Nguyen Van Thanh.
5. Pursuing further investigation over the wrongdoings at Trustbank related to the Pham Cong Danh case, the prosecution agency decided to prosecute another six defendants who were managers of Trustbank.
6. The number of defendants at the Ocean Bank case reached a record high number of 51. Former chair of the bank Ha Van Tham received a life sentence while former CEO Nguyen Xuan Son received the death penalty.